Monday, January 1, 2007

Who Blogs? And Why?

I found this article from Slate talking about the type of people that blog.

I think blogging is an interesting phenomenon, especially the rate that it has pervaded our society. Sadly, I know that many blogs are junk. I heard on the news the other day that the average blog readership is at about 1 (author included). So, for the most part, people are really just writing to themselves. The Slate article confirms that many people think of their blog as a kind of journal that provides an account of their experiences.
I'll admit that my blog readership is low, probably not much higher than 1 (thanks for the comment Mo). This is because I'm holding off on "advertising" until I know I will keep at this thing for a while and until I know that there is actually some content on here worth reading. I have a number of blog entries that are still in the "draft" stage that I want to polish off sometime in the future.

Another thing is that I'm trying to define my message and who my audience might be. I would like to think that I would follow in the path of Blog A-Listers Top 100 Bloggers - that is to say the bloggers who actually have people read what they write:
Most A-listers are men over 30; have published before; are in it primarily to change public opinions and not to share their experiences; know only a fraction of their readers; and don't conceal their identities.
The only thing is that I am not over 30 , will be sharing my experiences in an effort to raise awareness about science careers, and my identity is concealed (I guess I won't be making the Top 100). I have published before (student newspaper commentary and scientific publications), would like to change public opinions (to get people to start thinking analytically), and don't know any of you readers. I'm don't tell anyone I blog because I don't really want people I know reading this because I feel it might skew my comments for fear of offending someone.

I think that there are a number of BIG mistakes that alot of bloggers make when constructing their messages. I will try to avoid this by only commenting on issues pertinent to medicine and science. Many of the med-student blogs I read like to comment on their personal lives (ie dating, lifestyle, etc) that I find particularly boring. I am also open to criticism, in fact I encourage it because a difference of opinion is a great way to realize flaws in both arguments and thus, the way people can come to an agreement.

Anyway, I guess in the end I'm not 100% sure why I do this, but will continue to give it more thought. Oh yeah, I find that some blog entries can get TOO long. So I'll go ahead and follow my own advice and keep them to about 1/2 page. A page at the most!

No comments: