Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Blog: Long road to medical school

I like to follow the rule: Never give advice that you wouldn't follow yourself.

I apply the same thing when I recommend readings to people, blogs included. So, any blogs that I profile on here will be blogs that I read. For the personal blogs, I will usually have read the ENTIRE thing before posting it on here. Of course, I could see that changing in the future as my time grows shorter. But for now, I like reading medical student blogs to see what their life is like and to get a better sense of blogging (the good and the bad).

I just got done reading Old MD Girl's blog called "The Long Road to Medical School." [Link is on the right] I was glad to find this one because she is also an MD/PhD student. The amount of information regarding the MD/PhD program is pretty sparse. There are alot of MD blogs out there and hers reads like most of the rest of them out there. There tends to be a fair amount of bitching that goes on there, but hey, its her blog and she can do what she wants with it. Moreover, its easy to be critical when I'm not suffering through med school also.
She started her program at 29, which makes me feel better about starting at 25. Heck, there are people that start medical school in their 40's! There are also horror stories about grad students who take 10 years to graduate - in less time, most MudPhuds can get two degrees!

Anyway, shes a student at Penn's MSTP. A little bit feminist, which is cool. I just wish she would be a little more consistent in her opinions (doesn't mind terms like slave labor or calling people pussies). God bless her for keeping up an almost 1 blog a day average, thats some stamina right there. Its not one of my favorites, so I'm putting it in the "Other Blogs You Might Like" Category. The ones I like and read regularly are in the "Recommended Blogs" section.

No comments: