Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Weird Dream

I had a dream last night that I was interviewing for medical school at a well-known university and surrounded by uber-competitive, Type A, overachieving, all ducks in a row, T's crossed, and i's dotted kind of students. I felt uncomfortable being around these strangers that were so gung-ho about everything they did in life. Somewhere between my staying with a student host and the actual interview, I ran away, confused and upset but then I woke up.

I'm having more of these kind of strange dreams lately in the lead up to medical school. Reading House of God probably got my psyche thinking about my return to school or it could be attributable to the stress involved in interviewing ( I have one coming up). Its definitely going to be a shock starting actual school again, given the different type of learning that is required in medical school compared to life in the lab. Its also going to be weird being around overzealous premeds-turned-med students, whose ilk I typically avoided as an undergrad. These gunner-types are at every medical school, utterly devoid of personality, but have managed to slip through the system and now are set on getting into the most competitive residency. Right now, it looks like I'll be going to a school that is Pass/Fail - so that is helping me alleviate my fears.

No comments: