Monday, December 18, 2006

Good Tidings

Man, after a crappy day in the lab its good to come home to some good news. My official letter of acceptance came in the mail. Unlike rejection letters, this is one small envelope I have been looking forward to receiving for a long time. I'm not going to open it though - I think I'll wrap it up and let my mom open it for Christmas (she's a big reason I decided to become a doctor, and even moreso to a physician-scientist).

I also made travel arrangements for another MD/PhD interview I have coming up in January. The nice thing is that they are paying for all my expenses on the trip. Like most schools, I was able to select a list of faculty members I would be interested in meeting. Although I originally found it a pain in the ass, I am now glad I took the time to do it. A large part of any MD/PhD experience will be decided by who you work for, so its important to identify some potential PI's beforehand. You don't want to wind up at a school and realize that there are few, if any, PI's that work in your field of interest. Luckily, this school had alot of successful PIs doing the kind of work I'm interested in (cancer biology/modeling) - more than I had known about before. Shows how a little research can be revealing.

I also got my GRE Subject Test score back from ETS. Yes, I was considering applying to graduate school this year, so I decided to take the tests in case I applied. I did pretty well overall considering I've been out of school for a while and my study preparation was erratic. I think I'm going to put my comments about the test, test prep, and what the results mean into a separate post because it deserves more attention.

No comments: